Frequently Asked Questions... & Our Answers

  • Q. Are the properties listed run by UCB or UCB Guild?
    A. No. Our website is simply signposting you to recognised and accredited landlords or letting agencies. Although we will ensure that there are current gas/electric/EPC certificates in place, we have no involvement with the running of these properties.
  • Q. I am a returning student. Can I still live in Halls of Residence?
    A. Yes. There are a limited number of rooms at UCB’s halls, but they are strictly on a first-come-first-served basis. Once the allocation is full there will be no more rooms available for returning students.
  • Q. What do I normally have to pay to reserve a property?
    A. UCB Guild Lettings have no charges to you, our student, however letting agencies often do have administration fees. You must check with the agency to establish what their fees are. It is also normal for an agent or landlord to request a dilapidations deposit (bond) to reserve a property at the time of the booking. This is refundable at the end of your tenancy providing there are no dilapidations.
  • Q. Am I committed to pay rent for a fixed term?
    A. Yes, depending on the length of the tenancy you sign, you are legally required to pay the rent until the contract ends.
  • Q. What does ‘jointly and severally’ liable mean?
    A. Where there is more than one tenant signing an agreement, all tenants are ‘jointly and severally’ liable. This means that each tenant can be held responsible for the agreement and paying of rent and not just a share of it. Be sure about the people that you agree to share with as if they fail to pay the rent, you can also be held liable.
  • Q. Who will maintain/manage the property after I/we have moved in?
    A. It will either be the landlord or the landlord’s appointed managing agent.
  • Q. Who will pay for the Utilities, Services and TV Licence?
    A. Normally most bills will be the responsibility of the tenant unless stated otherwise in your tenancy agreement. There will be no Council Tax charge where full time students ONLY occupy a house. There are specific rules governing who is classed as a full-time student and tenants are advised to check this before choosing who to live with.
  • Q. Do students pay Council Tax?
    No. It is very important that you complete a council tax exemption form which you can do online. You will need your exemption certificate from your faculty. Failure to complete this form will result in the council invoicing you for full council tax payment.
  • Q. Will my belongings be covered by the Landlord’s insurance?
    A. No, tenants must take out insurance for their own belongings.
  • Q. What happen if I sign up for a property with some friends, but decide not to move?
    A. Once you sign the tenancy agreement, you are legally committed to the term of the agreement. So it is vital that you are absolutely sure that you want to move into the property. If you do decide not to move in, then you would normally be expected to find a suitable replacement tenant to take your place. Keep your landlord or agent informed of all developments.
  • Q. I’m struggling to pay my rent. What should I do?
    A. You must immediately discuss your difficulty with your landlord or agent. You should be able to come to an amicable arrangement if you have reasonable and meaningful dialogue with your landlord/agent. Often a payment plan can be agreed upon. If you would like independent advice on finance or any difficulties you can also contact the who will be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Q. How safe is my area?
    A. will give crime stats for individual postcodes which allow you to obtain comparisons for various areas.
  • Q. What happens if I drop out of University?
    A. If you have signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST) then it is likely that you have signed a binding agreement for an agreed period of time. This means that you are still obligated to the terms of the agreement and are still liable for the rent payment up until the end of the agreement. The most practical way forward is for you to find a suitable replacement tenant.
  • Q. How do I make a complaint?
    A. It is a compliance requirement that all letting agencies are part of a redress body (such as the Property Ombudsman). Part of their membership will include having a clear complaints procedure and should be able to provide you with details on how to make a complaint.