Student Services

Student Services is a one stop shop for all students, providing information, advice and guidance on non-academic matters. A range of support is available through the Student Services Unit and there is no need to arrange an appointment - just drop in and speak to a member of the team.

They offer advice on:

  • Accommodation
  • Financial Support
  • Health and Wellbeing
  • Mentoring


The University owns and manages accommodation for more than 1000 students in two purpose-built halls of residence in central Birmingham.

The Maltings

The purpose-built Maltings student accommodation is owned and managed by University College Birmingham and is situated in the heart of the city centre on Granville Street, between Broad Street and Bath Row.

The Maltings, whose name is inspired by the brewery formerly based at the site, is popular with students attending the University for the first time. It is conveniently located only 10 to 15 minutes’ walk from the main campus and comprises 827 study bedrooms, including 809 en-suite rooms, of which five are twins.

Further details, costs and virtual tours can be seen on the Accommodation section of the UCB website.

Cambrian Hall

Cambrian Hall is ideally located only 150 yards from the University's Summer Row site and a couple of minutes’ walk from Birmingham’s city centre shops, bars, restaurants, rail and coach stations.

Cambrian Hall is a purpose-built hall of residence providing 247 student places. Popular with mature and overseas students, it is a self-catering hall with each flat accommodating 10 students in single study bedrooms.

Further details, costs and virtual tours can be seen on the Accommodation section of the UCB website.

Financial Support

In addition to the loans and grants available, there are other means of financial support and funding for some students who fit particular circumstances.

Care Leavers

If you are a Care Leaver coming to study with us, you may be able to access additional financial support to help with your transition into university. The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 defines a care leaver as someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more following their 16th birthday.

Our financial support offer includes:

  • Funded pre-payment of rent (£275) and up to four weeks to pay your £200 security deposit if you choose to stay in UCB Halls of Residence
  • UniKitOut full kit out silver pack ( ready for when you move into our Halls of Residence
  • £200 cash payment in semester 2 (subject to satisfactory attendance)

The financial support offer is available to eligible students in their first year of study only.

In addition, you can access:

  • Pre-arrival budgeting advice and assistance with the Student Finance application process
  • Priority access to our HE Access Fund, if necessary
  • Summer accommodation at our Halls of Residence

For further information on any of the above forms of support, please visit the Financial Support section of the UCB website.